Introducing the Shack

I had an interesting question posed to me in response to my first blog on The Shack. The question was in two parts.

1. Please could you give some reasons as to why a passionate Christian should not read this book?
2. Why are so many Christians the world over going ahead and reading it?

Answer 1 :
You are ahead of my blog, as I was going to cover this later on, but I will do it now and later on. Although The Shack is a work of fiction (story) it is clearly intended to communicate to the reader some deep theological truths. Many people have commented how the book has changed their lives and changed their understanding of God, and here is my problem. When your "fresh" or "new" understanding of God is based on unsound theology you have a problem.

One Amazon reader review said "This book will seriously mess with your theology - and you will be GLAD". That is quite scary if you do not have a strong theological base on which to stand.

In Ephesians Paul says "And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes".

In short to answer question 1, why read a book that would give you the incorrect doctrine (teaching) about God, the Trinity and a few bits more?

Answer 2 :
In short, they do not have a strong foundation in certain key doctrinal truths. I want to leave this question a bit unanswered as in the weeks to come, I will unfold some of the errors in the book that many have not even considered or pondered on because of a lack of understanding of the Christian doctrine.

But hey!, thanks for your comments. I appreciate the feedback.

No comments: