Let gets this chevy started

You will see that I have a couple of extra blogs apart from this one. This blog will be my "rant and rave". A blog where you get my thoughts on various questions, happenings etc. I have another blog for those of you wanting a "devotional" each day and you can access it by surfing over to hccdevotional.blogspot.com

Again I recommend for both these blogs you subscribe to them so that you don't have to surf over to them each day. Simply click on the subscribe button at the bottom of the page when you go to the blog for the first time, and it will appear in your news reader whenever there is a update to the blog.

Today's thought : To "Shack" or not to "Shack".

The best-selling book "The Shack" is not helpful in finding answers about who God is.

Nice one Brad, you have just dissed a book that is currently at No. 1 on the New York Times best seller list (27th September), and has many Christians and upstanding Christian leaders promoting its life changing effect on their lives.

My answer is : Yes, I know.

I am not going to give all my reasons in one post on this blog however I will give all my reasons over the next few weeks. Firstly, let me say that writing a book as a good story is one thing, writing a book as a story and then saying "that is what God is like" is quite another, especially when that is nothing what God is like.

I love reading, in fact I could be called a voracious reader. At any one time I could be reading 2 or 3 books. One next to my bed, one in my bag for when I get to coffee shops early and one in my office. Yet, I am also a discerning reader. I do not read a book and suck it all in like a sponge (and neither should you). Read with a discerning eye. Think about what the author is saying.

I am not the only dissenting voice about the book, yet I also believe we should not dissent for the sake of dissenting. But as this is my blog, you are going to get, primarily, my views.

So...lets get "shacking".

3 comments:

James Preston said...

Hi Brad,

please could you give some reasons as to why a passionate Christian should not read this book. And on top of that, why are so many Christians the world over going ahead and reading it?

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi Brad,

Have you read the book? I haven't although most of the people i know that have read it have a deeper love for God. i always cringe when christians start dissing everything that is not "norm"

hesitant

Brad Sadler said...

Hi Hesitant
I have posted answers to your question and commented in most part of your concerns about "dissing" that which is not the "norm".

Have a read and give me your thoughts.

Speak to you soon.
Brad.