The mystery

I was driving to the Church Office this morning and listening to the radio about stem cell research. One guy phoned in and said that we should not be considering the "religious view" because most of religion was a mystery anyway, and therefore we should rather be looking at a scientific and ethical viewpoint.

He did confirm that he was an atheist and so automatically wrote off any "religious viewpoint". The question asked on the radio show was whether stem cell research should be allowed or not.

BUT, that was not what piqued my interest, it was the atheist's comment about religion being a mystery and therefore it made it irrelevant.

Not so, I say.

Just because some things may seem a mystery to us, it doesn't mean we should write it off.

I could give countless natural examples of mysteries in our world (our earth, oceans, skies, cells, minerals. . .the list goes on) that scientists, let alone you and me, still do not understand. . . dare I say, they are a mystery to us. This doesn't mean we write any of it off.

Why then should that apply to our faith. Or is that just an excuse to ignore God, or worst still, denounce His very being.

Some things are a mystery in our faith BUT that does not mean we give up. Why is it we battle to live with mystery about some things. This urgency to understand everything is nonsensical. We will always find something that's a mystery, the key is not to let it distract you or dissuade you from your faith in Jesus Christ.

C'mon. Let loose, just let some things be a mystery. Someday you may find an answer and maybe you won't. The question is: can you let it slide or not.

Use a concordance or Bible program and look up the word "mystery". Read all the verses, most of them are in the New Testament. What do you think ?

God Bless
Brad

1 comment:

James Preston said...

Nice one Brad. I couldn't agree with you more. AW Tozer puts it so well in his book "The Knowledge of the Holy."

In my opinion Atheists are the biggest mystery of them all!

Dangerous statement on the internet, I know. But if you're reading this and claim to be an atheist, let's talk...